Sunday, December 13, 2009

Some sparkling motivation

For Christmas 11 years ago (right after I gave birth to our second son), my husband gave me 2 diamond anniversary bands, one "from" each of my sons. His intention was to replace my wedding band and for me to wear one of the new rings on each side of my engagement ring. I had gained so much weight with my son that I had stopped wearing my wedding rings several months earlier, so he took them to the jewelry store so he would know what size to buy. Needless to say that the size he got did not fit me since I had barely lost any of the baby weight at that point. I wasn't worried since I had lost all of my baby weight with my first son, I did not expect to have any trouble that time either (boy was I wrong!). After a year or so of not wearing my rings, he finally persuaded me to have them re-sized so I could wear them. I decided to only do 1 of the bands so I would at least have something to wear, but in my mind, if I did them both it was like giving up and admitting that I would never lose that weight.

OK, so it took me 11 years, but I'm finally doing it. As I was putting on my rings yesterday, I noticed that they were a bit loose. I don't know why, but it made me wonder if there was any chance that I could wear the second band, the one that I didn't have sized, the one that is the same ring size I wore when we got married. I am so happy to say that I got it on easily. I actually don't wear my wedding rings every day, but I have been wearing them pretty much non-stop since yesterday. It's not that I suddenly love to wear the rings. I am using them as sparkly motivation. Every time I look down at them, I am reminded that I can only wear them because of the changes that I am making. When I thought about not going for my walk today because it was cold and rainy, I looked down, put on a hat and jacket and got my butt out the door.

My weekly weigh in is tomorrow, and I'm hoping to hit a personal milestone, but even if I don't, I think I'll keep wearing the rings for a while to help keep me moving forward (plus they're pretty-LOL).

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations - Oh happy day! I hope you hit your milestone tomorrow:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is SO awesome and encouraging. I have been thinking about buying myself a ring when I get to my goal. Having it constantly there would be a great reminder of what you have accomplished and how you have changed your life for the good. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete