Tuesday, December 8, 2009

If it's not broke, don't fix it?

I just got back from a 30 minute walk. That's 9 days in a row for me and I'm really feeling good. I am down another 3 pounds (for those of you that read yesterday's post, yes that means I did finally get on the scale to do my weigh in) and I've lost more inches too. I know from teaching fitness classes and experience (LOL) that I'm going to be hitting a plateau soon. It's just the way it goes - when you start cutting calories and increasing your exercise, you lose weight, but you will go through times when you seem to be doing everything right and aren't getting any results. That's when you have to shake things up, try a new workout, tweak the diet, or whatever.

I know that eventually I want to get to the point of working out for 60 minutes a day instead of 30, so I'm trying to figure out what I'd like to add or change to help get me there. The easiest thing to do would to be to add another 30 minute walk in each day. To be honest, I think that might be too boring to keep up for long. I do have a couple of friends that I walk with 3-4 days a week and I love those walks, but I've been walking the other days by myself and that's already a little boring. Trying to do that twice in one day may not be the way to go. Adding a short video workout might work. I think I have enough of them to rotate to keep from being bored (at least for a while). I love the idea of taking classes at the Y, so I'd like to try that. The problem there is fitting them into my work schedule which changes day to day and often changes at the very last minute.

I guess that finding a workout routine that works is like anything else in life, you try something and if it doesn't work, you try something else. The key is to keep trying different things until you find what works for you. Something you enjoy, that you can stick to and that produces the results you want. I'll let you know when I find it. :)

3 comments:

  1. I've successfully avoided that dreaded plateau by constantly evaluating and intensifying my workout routine. I believe the body can compensate for fewer calories, but it just doesn't have a defense against more exercise. Take that walk out to 35 minutes, and then 40. Go a little farther each time out. Push yourself... right past that plateau!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice from Jack.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree.. Jack has some good advice. Good luck! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete