Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I do have muscles...

...and they are sore!

I posted a couple weeks ago about getting a personalized workout plan from one of the trainers at the Y. Well, the day after he gave it to me, I slipped on the ice and hurt my ankle and then I was out of town for several days, so even though it's been 2 weeks since I got "The Plan", yesterday was my first official "Plan Workout". It's supposed to take 45-60 minutes and the first part is 25-30 minutes of cardio. I have a goal for how many calories I am supposed to burn during the cardio portion. Yesterday's goal was 220 calories. I decided to do the elliptical for 30 minutes and since I wasn't 100% sure how many calories it would burn, I cranked the resistance up a bit. Then I started reading my magazine and when I was finished reading, I had done 31 minutes and burned 300 calories. Yeah! Next is the strength training. I only have 4 exercises that I am supposed to do right now - chest press, lat (pull down), lunges and crunches. I did 3 sets of 15 for each one and I was feeling pretty good. I felt like that is definitely a workout I can do 3-4 days a week. Until this morning. :)

My quads are so sore. My upper body is a little sore too, but nothing like what's going on in my legs. Don't get me wrong, I know this is the way it's supposed to be. I'm not in pain, just feeling the soreness that comes from using muscles that haven't been used for quite some time. It's a good kind of soreness. The kind that makes me realize that my body will eventually respond to what I'm doing and tighten up so I don't look and feel so squishy (is that a word?). LOL! This mornings workout was a 30 minute walk and I think I'm going to leave it at that. Most days, I try to do more than just the 30 minutes, but I think today will be a "light" day while I recover and prepare for Day 2 of "The Plan". The scary part is that after 5 of these workouts, I'm supposed to call him so he can add additional exercises and increase the intensity-YIKES!

Hope everyone has a great day. :)

2 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with taking a light day! I try to give myself them often because I know if I don't I will overdo it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty common for your legs to be really sore after the first time of working them out. The more you do it, the less sore they will be.

    This is a great work-out for you. You'll be glad you're doing it.

    ReplyDelete